Especially Thankful for 4 Day Weekends

Now that we are homeowners, I think we are extra thankful for 4 day weekends, especially when the weather is absolutely beautiful and the temps are hitting the upper 70's. It was perfect weather for lots of yard work, so yard work we did.
Our super awesome next door neighbors pulled in a huge favor and got us a borrowed pressure washer. We spent MUCH of the weekend freshening up the house, walks, decks, arbors, and lattice work. Personally, pressuring washing is only fun for the first....20 minutes, then...it gets pretty tedious. I think I've logged about 8 hours on that baby this weekend too. It is also not something for someone who is as anal-retentive as I am...I don't just want it to look clean, I want it to look NEW.

Here is H working on the front arbor

Yeah....the patio needed a good scrub

I've really been enjoying watching the plants come back to life. It has been especially exciting with a whole yard full of who-knows-what! 

 
My good looking Camellia. The other one is very yellow and the blossoms hardly open before browning and dying...any suggestions??

I don't want to get my hopes up...but this really looks like a lilac to me. I believe there is one hybrid that grows down here.
 
Don't know what these will be, but I love that they are green! 

I cheated...these are in the neighbors yard. Yeh SPRING!! 

 The hydrangeas leafing out. I LOVE hydrangeas and there are many plants.
\
Another unknown...These giant spiney bushes are covered with pink buds which are in groups. There is some sort of a fruit (???) hanging on from last year that looks like a shriveled apple. Any ideas what this might be? 

 
Another Midwestern thing...Pussy Willows!! I was SO EXCITED to see them. I've always loved them as a sign that spring has most certainly sprung. I feel like it's a Midwest thing because none of my Southern friends knew what they were; although maybe they just are not plant dorks like me. :) 


Hooray!!! I just love these fuzzy little guys! 

We also took advantage of this beautiful weather by having some people over for a BBQ. It's nice to have people over, because it really motivates me to get things unpacked, cleaned up and set up. Here are some pictures from how it looked: 

I set my Pier One chairs outside. These will continue to reside in the sunroom until the weather is a bit more consistent.

The gazebo has long since lost it's cover, but a $5 box of Christmas lights from an estate sale has helped dress it up. 

More seating, more lights. 

View from the patio, looking back towards the house (sunroom area). The giant fork (and knife) where paintings done (and left here) by the former owners. She was an artist, and I absolutely love these for their whimsy and for their colors. 

I haven't had a chance to use this little rolling cart in my house for quite awhile, so I was happy to have found a home for it, with some plants, out in the sunroom. I am still trying furniture arrangements on for size, so I'm not sure if this setup will stay or go. 

Other accomplishments for this 4 day weekend include (but are not limited to): 

  • Getting juuuuuuuuust about everything wrapped up for final check out at the old place. (It will be sooooo nice not having to deal with any of that again for a while...or ever)
  • Selling off a few un-needed items and recouping the cost of the oriental (inspired) rug a bought at an estate sale this weekend
  • Said estate sale turned up the rug, box o' lights, white linen napkins, and some funky 'faux' tattoo hosiery (Etsy perhaps??)
  • Cleaning out beside and behind the workshop and all around storage shed 
  • Making an attempt to clean out the front pond 
  • H's awesome lunch of ricotta, leek and bacon pizza; followed up with a steak dinner
WHEW! It looks like the weather will be "cooling off" again to more average temps so I am pretty happy with all we accomplished this weekend. For the next nice weekend we will be doing the touch up painting (post pressure wash) and hopefully cleaning up the brick mess (I was wrong in thinking it was a good idea to save the bricks from the old chimney...cause now I gotta clean them up!) What did you get done on this beautiful weekend!?

No comments:

Post a Comment